The player is the character that users control in-game. Each player has an avatar which is the customizable character which represents players in-game. Players have 100 health points, and lose health when taking damage.
The player's appearance can be customized using the character creator, where different aspects of the player can be edited and different themed styles can be applied.
The player model can be customized, allowing the player to take the form of any NPC in-game, also known as "morphing". Players can also create their own models for the avatar to display in-game.
The head of the player model is tilted very slightly five degrees upwards by default due to the fact that users tend to look slightly down while playing video games. This only affects how other players see the avatar and does not change the camera angle.
The player's avatar can have different facial expressions and perform emotes. Some expressions are activated during gameplay, like gritting teeth when pulling out a sword, but others can be customized and triggered manually.
|13 December 2018||Players and character customization are seen in the Hytale trailer.|
|15 February 2019||Character customization is showcased in a blog post.|
|6 April 2019||An early development screenshot of players in a multiplayer server is shown.|
|10 December 2020||A player with a pigeon is shown in a blog post.|
|15 Janaury 2021||Three players are shown in a tweet.|
|22 January 2021||The back of a player is shown in a tweet.|
|29 January 2021||A player holding a book is shown in a tweet.|
|12 March 2021||A player's footsteps are shown in detail.|
- "A sneak peek at Hytale's user interface" – Hytale Blog, 13 December 2018.
- "Custom content in Hytale" – Hytale Blog, 20 August 2019.
- "Cosplay as a cat and more with Hytale's mod tools" by Craig Pearson. RockPaperShotgun, 21 August 2019.
- "Humans have a tenancy to align their eyes with the horizon. In Games the horizon is much closer than in real life
This means you tend to walk around with your head tilted down in video games.
In Hytale we manually readjust the head to be about 5 or so degrees up to solve this" – @Noxywoxy on Twitter, 2 May 2020
- "Its adjusted from the 3rd parties perspective :P." – @Noxywoxy on Twitter, 2 May 2020
- "Customizing out character in Hytale" – Hytale Blog, 5 February 2019.
- "RPS Presents: The Story Of Hytale | Developer Sessions | EGX Rezzed 2019"– EGX on YouTube, 6 April 2019