|"A proprietary, custom-built engine"|
|C# (client) · Java (server) |
|Windows · macOS · Linux (servers only) |
|Sandbox · fantasy · role-playing |
Hytale features a procedurally-generated fantasy world composed of blocks of numerous shapes arranged in a three-dimensional grid. The world features different randomly generated biomes, creatures, and dungeons. Players can participate in minigames similar to those found on the Hypixel server, such as SkyWars and BedWars. Players will be able to build and share mods and custom content using a set of browser-based and in-game tools, including an in-game model editor called the Hytale Model Maker. Hytale can be played in first person and third-person view.
Hytale will feature an adventure mode which includes procedurally-generated zones, made up of many biomes and including different encounters. This mode will feature RPG-styled combat for singleplayer and multiplayer and include dynamic boss encounters and dungeon exploration. Players can find overgrown towers and fight large bosses. Hytale contains many creatures, including animals, monsters and factions. Each zone contains different types of creatures, with some guarding the powerful gear.
Many popular minigames from the Hypixel server will make their way into Hytale. It also will feature a character customizer which includes thousands of cosmetic items. Hytale will support large community-run servers, and players can fight using a combat system built for multiplayer.
Hytale will feature block-based construction in both singleplayer and multiplayer which includes many different world editing tools. It will feature a Java scripting system which allows players to create and execute code in-game, and in-game cinematic tools for video creators. It will also feature the Hytale Model Maker which is a 3D modeling, texturing, and animation toolkit running on HTML where players can create custom assets and import them into the game itself.
Hytale started development around April 2015. From December 2013 to July 2014, "Early access testing to our future video game" was offered alongside purchases of the MVP+ rank on the Hypixel server. Hypixel's plans to create an independent game were accellerated after Mojang's changed the EULA of Minecraft in June 2014 to prevent servers from selling items that affected gameplay, which lead to an 85% drop in Hypixel's revenue. This incident reminded them that they were not in complete control of their project, and wanted to develop their own game using a custom engine which can suit the needs of the developers. Hypixel was also limited by Minecraft in how creative minigames could be; for instance, the Turbo Kart Racers minigame could not zoom out the camera enough leading to players getting confused as to what was occurring. The team initially wanted to avoid making a block game similar to Minecraft, but did so in the end because it was what they had experience developing for.
Hypixel Studios approached Riot Games in 2016 who agreed to become an investor for Hytale. Hypixel Inc. filed a trademark for "Hytale" on 29 July 2016. Noxy made a post on the Hypixel Forums on 28 December 2016 explaining how development was going and listing developers of the game, as well as stating that the game had a budget of US$3.6 million. The game was officially announced to the public on 10 December 2018 in the form of a countdown on the Hytale website; when the countdown concluded, the first four blog posts as well as the game's trailer were released. Since the game was announced, regular blog posts have been released explaining different aspects of the game.
|15 November 2019||Golden Joystick Awards||Most Wanted Game (nominated)|
|8 March 2021||Northern Ireland Game Awards||Most Anticipated Game|
The trailer for Hytale was released on 13 December 2018, and amassed over 30 million views within a month, with over 57 million views as of December 2020. After the release of the trailer, articles have been posted to the Hytale blog explaining different aspects of the game.
- Before the name "Hytale" was decided, it was referred to as "Standalone".
- Aaron Donaghey names Neverwinter Nights as an influence for the adventure mode of Hytale.
- "The Hytale FAQ" – Hytale Blog, 13 December 2018.
- "An overview of Hytale's server technology" – Hytale.com.
- "Summer 2021 development update" – Hytale Blog, 1 July 2021.
- "Riot-backed Hytale in development by Minecraft modders" by Brad Ballanger. Daily Esports, 15 December 2018.
- "RPS Presents: The Story Of Hytale | Developer Sessions | EGX Rezzed 2019"– EGX on YouTube, 6 April 2019
- "The Road Ahead" by NoxyD. Hypixel Forums, 28 December 2016.
- "Hytale is a brand new game from giants of the Minecraft community, backed by Riot" – Eurogamer, 13 December 2018.
- "MVP SUCKS!" – Hypixel Forum, 7 March 2014.
- "Announcing Hypixel Studios and Hytale!" by Simon Collins-Laflamme. Hypixel Forum, 9 December 2019. "For those unaware, he's referring to a long time ago (December 16 2013 to July 30 2014) when we offered Beta Access to "The Upcoming Hypixel Game" alongside MVP+ Purchases."
- "First Look: Hytale is putting adventure and creativity at the heart of its ambitious block-building sandbox" by Jen Simpkins. GamesRadar+, 24 February 2020.
- "Hytale is a Minecraft follow-up that remembers the Minigames" – RockPaperShotgun, 20 December 2018.
- "Riot Games Leads Investment in Hypixel Game Studio" – The Hollywood Reporter.
- "HYTALE Trademark Information" – Trademarkia Trademarks, 16 March 2020.
- "Countdown" (archived) – Hytale.com via the Wayback Machine, 10 December 2018.
- "Music track preview, looking back at the announcement, and an FAQ update!" – Hytale Blog, 13 January 2019. "For years to come, we plan on supporting the game with new features, content updates and more."
- "Hytale was nominated for "Most Wanted Game" for Golden Joystick Award, go tune in! https://twitch.tv/goldenjoystickawards
The ceremony starts at 11am - we are up against big names" – @simon_hypixel on Twitter, 15 November 2019
- "We're very proud to have won 'Most Anticipated Game' at the NI Game Awards over the weekend - thank you to everybody involved and congratulations to the other winners and all of the nominees!" – @Hytale on Twitter, 8 March 2021
- "First Trailer of 'Minecraft' Inspired Game 'Hytale' Has 31 Million Views In Less Than 30 Days" by Tyler Fischer. ComicBook.com, 13 January 2019.
- "Q&A from the Patreon Discord server with Simon and NoxyD from Hypixel" by ITheDragoon. AutCraft Forums, 6 March 2019.